The Purpose of this Blog

Your task on this blog is to write a brief summary of what we learned in class today. Include enough detail so that someone who was ill or missed the class can catch up with what they missed. Over the course of the term, these 'class scribe' posts will grow to be a guide for the course, written by students for students.

With each post ask yourself the following questions:
1) Is this good enough for our guide?
2) Will your post enable someone who wasnt here to catch up?
3) Would a graphic/video/link help to illustrate what we have learned?

Wednesday 29 September 2010

'The Pardoner's Tale' by Zia Akhtar

Seven men, in an inn on the outskirts of Canterbury, sipping ale until they are drunk. they have no names, they do not deserve names for their sins.

The first man, we will only know him as lust. He is married, with four children, who he makes work on the fields at his leisure, while he visits his wife, and then his mistress. He has never seen me, nor any other Pardoner, for the idiot believes he has done nothing wrong!
He should come to me, and I will have my profit, and he will find heaven.

The second man, who we call sloth, still lives with his mother, and the wheat that she grows, he eats, he stokes the fire with wood that she chops, and eats the meat that she kills.
He should come to me, and I will have my profit, and he will find heaven.

The third man, who shall hereby be called anger, has a wife but no child. his rage is fed by nothing, but seems to be endless. he hits his wife, he hits his mother, his father, and his brother, he hits the wooden walls of his dilapidated shack.
He should come to me, and I will have my profit, and he will find heaven.

The fourth man, who is known as envy, burnt down his neighbour's hut, fueled by jealousy of the oak of his walls against the mud of his own.
He should come to me, and I will have my profit, and he will find heaven.

The fifth man, who is gluttony, has never left his house, as the doors are too narrow. He eats everything, and has everything brought to him.
He should call me to him, and I will have my profit, and he will find heaven.

5 comments:

  1. well ladi da! very nice, almost gothic it has a sinister feel to it. A*

    ReplyDelete
  2. And one more thing!
    really? there all men? it wouldnt kill you to make one of them a woman, you know to balance it out but noooooooooooooo god forbid!
    still a good tale

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Mahsa is over reacting,
    like ALL feminists do. XD

    I think it was good man, the representation of the seven sins should be a dominant factor within the pardoners tale and you represented them effectively, I also like the way you portrayed the pardoner as being some sort of saviour in his own eyes, when we know as readers his faith and loyalty to god is not without its loop holes, I think that further emphasises the pardoners need to fuel his ego and pride ( as well as his profit!)

    Pretty awesome man, pretty awesome, however it is not nearly as sinister, disgusting or as down right brutal as "guts" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah mahsa, think about historical context :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mahsa chill out, your just a big time feminist, get over it men rule!

    ReplyDelete